Derby Public School & Museum (Historic Landmark #4)
In March 1924, this red brick building opened as the third school at this site. It had 10 classrooms, study hall, small office, two modern lavatories and a gymnasium/auditorium. From 1924 to 1953, this was the only public school in town; high school was on the second floor and grade school on the ground floor.
During the rapid residential growth of the 1950s in Derby, multiple schools were built in Unified School District 260. Since 1953, this building has served in various capacities, including some middle school (junior high) functions until about 2000 and then became the community’s historical museum. In 2012, USD 260 gave the building to the Derby Historical Society to continue to operate the museum. In 2014, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior. It remains the only building in Derby on the National Register.