Families of Derby
The Garrett family came to the area in the early spring of 1869 and was soon followed by others coming to homestead the land. The town of El Paso was formally founded by J. Hout Minnich and John Hufbauer when they filed a plat on July 11, 1871. The two neighbors each committed 40 acres of their own land to dedicate to the creation of the town. Several families stayed in area for many generations.